Wednesday, January 25, 2012

some poetry I love

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there. I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry;
I am not there. I did not die.
-Mary E. Frye


To the Virgins
Gather ye rose-buds while ye may,
Old Time is still a-flying:
And this same flower that smiles to-day,
To-morrow will be dying.

The glorious Lamp of Heaven, the Sun,
The higher he’s a-getting
The sooner will his race be run,
And nearer he’s to setting.

That age is best which is the first,
When youth and blood are warmer;
But being spent, the worse, and worst
Times, still succeed the former.

Then be not coy, but use your time;
And while ye may, go marry:
For having lost but once your prime,
You may for ever tarry.
-Robert Herrick




One Art
The art of losing isn't hard to master;
so many things seem filled with the intent
to be lost that their loss is no disaster.

Lose something every day. Accept the fluster
of lost door keys, the hour badly spent.
The art of losing isn't hard to master.

Then practice losing farther, losing faster:
places, and names, and where it was you meant
to travel. None of these will bring disaster.

I lost my mother's watch. And look! my last, or
next-to-last, of three loved houses went.
The art of losing isn't hard to master.

I lost two cities, lovely ones. And, vaster,
some realms I owned, two rivers, a continent.
I miss them, but it wasn't a disaster.

-Even losing you (the joking voice, a gesture
I love) I shan't have lied. It's evident
the art of losing's not too hard to master
though it may look like (Write it!) like disaster.
-Elizabeth Bishop

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nunca li nada de nenhum dos três escritores. Não sei se foi minha adolescência inteira lendo poesia francesa (que quase não força uma sílaba sequer), mas algumas coisas nos poemas em inglês parecem... duras?... objetivas demais?... E quando foge disto a gente cai em Ezra Pound ou outro que também vá para a outra extremidade (sonoridade chinesa em inglês? Anyone?) e daí não se pode dizer mais nada. Vou procurar ler alguma coisa desses três aí de cima para formar melhor uma opinião (recomenda algo?), e de quebra deixo um que gosto muito, do Rimbaud. <3<3<3 :)

    ------------------------------------------------

    I
    Não se pode ser sério aos dezessete anos.
    – Um dia, dá-se adeus ao chope e à limonada,
    À bulha dos cafés de lustres suburbanos!
    – E vai-se sob a verde aléia de uma estrada.

    O quente odor da tília a tarde quente invade!
    Tão puro e doce é o ar, que a pálpebra se arqueja;
    De vozes prenhe, o vento – ao pé vê-se a cidade, –
    Tem perfumes de vinha e cheiros de cerveja...

    II
    – Eis que então se percebe uma pequena tira
    De azul escuro, em meio à ramaria franca,
    Picotada por uma estrela má, que expira
    Em doce tremular, muito pequena e branca.

    Noite estival! A idade! – A gente se inebria;
    A seiva sobe em nós como um champanhe inquieto...
    Divaga-se; e no lábio um beijo se anuncia,
    A palpitar ali como um pequeno inseto...

    III
    O peito Robinsona em clima de romance,
    Quando – na palidez da luz de um poste, vai
    Passando uma gentil mocinha, mas no alcance
    Do colarinho duro e assustador do pai...

    E como está te achando imensamente alheio,
    Fazendo estrepitar as pequenas botinas,
    Ela se vira, alerta, em rápido meneio...
    – Em teus lábios então soluçam cavatinas...

    IV
    Estás apaixonado. Até o mês de agosto.
    Fisgado. – Ela com teus sonetos se diverte.
    Os amigos se vão: és tipo de mau gosto.
    – Um dia, a amada enfim se digna de escrever-te!...

    Nesse dia, ah! meu Deus... – com teus ares ufanos,
    Regressas aos cafés, ao chope, à limonada...
    – Não se pode ser sério aos dezessete anos
    Quando a tília perfuma as aléias da estrada.

    ------------------------------------------------

    ReplyDelete