Thursday, February 16, 2012

Phobia


It all began with robbery. A dark,
smart, little punk showed me his gun. I froze.
Only I did not freeze enough.  To act
was probably a bad idea. He rose

the gun, and I began to move. The sharp
pain and the bang exciting me. ‘Suppose
it wasn’t my day to die. I look at him and smirk.
Adrenaline kicked in, my pressure rose

to a peak, and as if I were a star
from Rambo or Die Hard, I fought. Disposed
the gun from the punk’s hand. Then the park
got packed. The crowd saw the boy, broke nose,

blood in the pavement. When my blood cooled down
I found a starving child lying on the ground.

*

Rich kids of Salvador, me and my crowd,
walked in the streets that don’t belong to us.
They joked and laughed at the world around:
Poor houses, barefoot kids, crazy man that cursed

someone invisible. They pointed at
the children, bathing with an empty ice
cream pint. Isn’t it adorable? Their flat
stomachs showed me their hunger. That’s the price

we’ve got to pay for the indifference,
an ugly past with slavery, a huge debt
from times of colony and no advance
in the economy. My girl friends threat

to leave if I don’t stop the blabbering
The kids still bathe in sewage, smiling.

*

The car is going eighty miles. That and
the glass between me and the world should make
me feel secure. Still my hair stands on end,
dilated pupils, sweaty palms, the fake

impression that a gun, or knife can threat
my life at any moment. Panic is
inside me. Frozen, I observe the wet
streets, empty. No mass murderer in his

way to the bus, no robber selling gum
or cigarette packs at the stop light.  Despite
the lack of threat, my heart beats fast, crazed drum
inside my temple, and my throat is tight.

Yet rationally I know I must go on,
love, live, work unafraid. But the fear’s my home.


No comments:

Post a Comment