Thursday, February 23, 2012

great South-American novel

I wanna
write
the
Great
American Novel, I do,
the problem is
I am not American
I am South-American
says my skin
says my voice
says my name,
even if my name was changed for me
(or did I change it myself?),
I am still not Die-Anna,
I am Djy-Ana, Diana Leite,
not Dianne L'itchy, as the gringos say.

The aliens call me in the streets
and I never answer instinctively
as I would if my Dad called me: "Dica",
Dica da Bahia,
singing Garota de Ipanema in
Português,
tanning in the beach,
swimming like a fish,
yet
here I am
in their land,
their territory
yet here I am,
the Alien is me,
the strange Stranger estranged,
the foreigner
trying to beat the gringos
at the Gringo's Game
so I let them call me
Die-Anna, Die-Anne,
Miss L' itchy, Miss Lie-Tea,
whatever they wanna,
as long as I keep on
beating the gringos
at the Gringo's Game.

No comments:

Post a Comment