Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Fire

I prefer the fresh wind of an open window,
a quicker end, a body to put in the coffin.


I can remember what it felt like
when the fire was eating at me,
the smell of barbecue, the fear,
the scream stuck in my throat.
I remember the anguish, but the pain?
The pain is gone. The pain is a thing of the present.
Once I felt it, but not anymore.
It is my father’s eyes I think of
when I think of the pain, looking
at me in that picture. Was I five or four?
He knew I was something else
besides dolls and church and well behaved.
Now, the years having passed
I wish I could have put this fire down
before it consumed me, but I didn’t.
It was a harmless type of warmth and I
drank it like a good cup of java,
I liked the feeling of it warming my belly,
I liked the danger of it burning my thong.

I have learned (too late) that
fire is the enemy of our gender.
It burned us once in the bonfires
It burned us twice in factories
But it burns the strongest inside.
It burn as red as rage, as hot as passion,
relentless.
The brain is really a funny thing.
I remember the bows in my hair,
the pink dress, the smell of lavender
in my wrists,  the smell of
tobacco on your fingers,
but not much more.
The brain is a really funny thing.
I can still remember the fire, the fear,
The smell of frying meat,
but I really can’t remember how
or why
I let you burn me in your pyre.

It doesn’t really matter now.  The pain is gone.
I feel only the wind in my face,
the absence of your hands in my hands,
the freedom of forgetting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment